It’s not just wearing collared shirts these days; I put away my treasured copy of Che Guevara’s Guerilla Warfare. I have changed. Did you know what I got in return from leaving my wildness, untamed imagination and straight talking at home when I go to the office ?
My paycheck almost doubled in a year. I can afford to put cheese on everything I order at the restaurant. To show you how extreme it has gotten, the other day I ordered a cheese platter, and asked for extra cheese on top of that. A few months ago I washed down a Minetta Tavern Black label Burger (a $26 dollar affair) with amazing dessert, and some Calvados.
Yet I am grossly unhappy with my job. Why ? Here are 10 of my many observations accrued since June 16th:
- CEO’s fall into two categories sociopathic or psychopathic. They want to extract the most from you with the least effort. And they do this in part by staffing the higher-up positions with yes-men and yes women who will never question the why’s and how’s. They contort reality with insincere words.
- Your ability to think critically is only appreciated when it is in accord with someone’s fantasy. Pointing out inconsistencies, offering other alternatives, being proactive, can and are easily labeled as being, negative.
- Meetings are hell on earth. Over 40% of your work week will be mired in meetings forcing you to work weekend and nights to meet immutable deadlines because someone likes the sound of their voice.
- No one at the top is accountable. In other words the captain steering the ship straight into the iceberg isn’t responsible for the carnage. The engine room staff, the kitchen staff, maintenance is responsible. If they all have been doing their job nothing bad will happen ever.
- Ass in seat syndrome rules. Someone who has their ass in a seat for 10 hours is lauded more than some who does double their work in 8 hours. Loyalty is judged by the appearance of being present
I was an Entrepreneur Once
I think I may start my own business mostly because I don’t have the patience and tolerance for bullshit.
Question of the Day: What kinda of business would you start if you could ?