The Voting Rights Act, signed into law 48 years ago today, is widely viewed as the most effective civil rights legislation, but the Supreme Court gutted it in June in what was called by Blacks as : The one giant step back for Mankind. If you add to it the anti-women legislation, the demonization of the poor, the ever widening gap between the rich and the lower classes, our failed wars overseas , years of horrible foreign policy, you kind of wonder if we have taking a single step forwards or just twirled around in a circle wishing the problems in the world away.
Other Important Dates
- World War II: Hiroshima, Japan is devastated when the atomic bomb “Little Boy” is dropped by the United States B-29 Enola Gay. Around 70,000 people are killed instantly, and some tens of thousands die in subsequent years from burns and radiation poisoning.
- Prometheus, a bristlecone pine and the world’s oldest tree, is cut down.
The Tompkins Square Park Riot in New York City spurs a reform of the NYPD, held responsible for the event.
Tim Berners-Lee releases files describing his idea for the World Wide Web. WWW debuts as a publicly available service on the Internet.
- 1930 – Judge Joseph Force Crater steps into a taxi in New York and disappears never to be seen again.
- 1940 – Estonia was illegally annexed by the Soviet Union.
- 1942 – Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands becomes the first reigning queen to address a joint session of the United States Congress.
- 1960 – Cuban Revolution: Cuba nationalizes American and foreign-owned property in the nation.
- 2011 – A march in protest of the death of Mark Duggan in Tottenham, London, ends in a riot, sparking off a wave of rioting throughout the country over the following four nights.
- Remember history of the Voting Rights Act (stltoday.com)
- The 1965 Voting Rights Act: 48th Anniversary (3chicspolitico.com)
- The Voting Rights Act Turns 48: Shall We Overcome? (lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com)
- New life for the Voting Rights Act? (proseandthorn.net)
- Today in Black History: August 6, 1965 “The Voting Rights Act of 1965 Was Signed” (idealisticambitions.wordpress.com)
- The Voting Rights Act and American Democracy (wnyc.org)
- Outrage simmers on 48th anniversary of the Voting Rights Act (constitutioncenter.org)
- Five Reasons for Optimism on the Voting Rights Act’s 48th Anniversary (colorlines.com)
- Outrage simmers on 48th anniversary of the Voting Rights Act (news.yahoo.com)
- Sharpton Meets With POTUS, AG Holder To Discuss Voting Rights Act (newsone.com)