The morning after Independence Day, Fox & Friends’ fill-in hosts examined a 4th of July beer had that apparently has drawn the ire of some God-loving American conservatives. The commercial, played in its entirely on Fox, shows a bartender quoting the Declaration of Independence while pouring a Sam Adams. The problem? He neglects to mention that Americans’ “unalienable rights” were “endowed by their creator.”
“When political correctness takes over the beer advertising industry, the terrorists have won,” he declared. “I mean, this is absolutely outrageous. Maybe because Sam Adams was the tea party guy, he started the Boston tea party–maybe the tea party is being targeted here, guys?”
At least one beer drinker has sworn off Sam Adams for good for their transgression. Not everyone who buys beers is religious, not everyone who buys beer believes in God, not everyone who buys beer want to hear about God.
The Real Travesty
Since I was a little kid beer commercial have had 3 things to them:
- Some Reference to America
- Hot scantily clad women or illusions to sex
- Some reference to extreme in temperature either hot or cold
- An over dramatic Pour of beer into a glass
- Male Bonding
This is where Sam Adam failed: having a black guy bartender talking about freedom and liberty without mentioning God. There were no barely dressed women, no references to hot or cold extremes in weather, and the pour of beer wasn’t that dramatic. It is almost as if the people who designed the commercial wanted to highlight the progress we have made as a society through the sacrifices of many mortal human beings.
Is this really a big deal, have the terrorist won because Sam Adams is following industry guidelines and keeping the mention of God out of commercials
What do you think?
- Fox News host: Not using God to sell beer means ‘the terrorists have won’ (rawstory.com)
- Fox & Friends Pinch Hitters: Sam Adams Beer Ad Made Baby Jebus Cry (wonkette.com)
- Sam Adams Beer Commercial Deletes God From Declaration of Independence (joemiller.us)
- Fox & Friends: When Sam Adams Can’t Mention God In 4th Of July Beer Ad, ‘The Terrorists Have Won’ (mediaite.com)
- Fox News host: Not using God to sell beer means ‘the terrorists have won’ (realnewsnow.com)