Is there anyone willing to listen/participate ? How will people deal with being offended ? What format will these talks take ? What do the people who will participate feel they will get out of it ? Am I the best person to talk about it racism?
If the right people, time , circumstances and intentions are present I am more than happy to discuss racism. The real issue is the complexity of racism, socially and historically. When I think about talking about racism certain things come up. I will mention two things
1. There isn’t a common language we can use about racism, even the terms racism means different things to different people and racism overlaps into many areas, racism and gender issues, racism and work related issues. At the end of the day many techniques and instances of exploitation overlap. This makes it very difficult to talk about.
2. Out of sight out of mind – generally if it doesn’t happen to you. Racism isn’t a subject many people educate themselves about because there isn’t a need to. It’s very personal to some people which sometimes makes conversations sometimes difficult, circuitous, and painful to listen too.
So with that said I would be more than willing to talk with or collaborate with anyone who wants to talk frankly about it. I think after discussing some things: format, what subjects to talk about specifically we could have something great. Feel free to share
My Writings on Racism in the past
I have written about racism before Taking
- Taking The Negative Movie Edition: Olympus has Fallen
- Taking the Negative Saturday Special:Woman,Skin Whitening, and Adele
- Taking the Negative Intl Woman’s Day Special: White Women & Movie Serial Killers
- Taking the Negative: Voting in the 2012 Elections
- Taking the Negative: The Monster’s Ball Syndrome
- Taking the Negative: The Movie Hero
- Taking the Negative: Islam and terrorism
- Introducing a new Series: Taking the Negative dedicated to Chinua Achebe
Black History Month Post
- How I said Good-Bye to Black History Month 2013 & My Great-GrandMother
- MrMary’s Black History Month PSA: Why Do Black People Talk That Way
- Black History Month Special: Valentine’s Day,Conjugal Visits in Prison, Sex and Bonobo Monkeys 2/2
- Black History Month Special: Valentine’s Day,Conjugal Visits in Prison, Sex and Bonobo Monkeys 1/2
- MrMary’s Black History Month Game: Pick the Correct Picture of Beyonce
- MrMary’s Black History Month PSA: Why do Black People have such Crazy Names ?
- Things Not to Do During Black History Month #1