A new report from the ACLU shows that while black and white people use marijuana at roughly the same rates, black Americans are arrested for marijuana possession far more often than whites.
This was amazing to me, more amazing than the fact that Black Americans are given longer sentences than White Americans for same crimes *.
When I was a boy I had the pleasure of talking to an old black man. Old black men are the best. He looked like Wole Soyinka, but his hair was short and he had a fedora.He gave me some great advise, which now that I think about it paints a fucked up picture of his experiences here:
- This is not our country, this is their country. They aren’t going to prepare you to compete against their own children
- Don’t be out in the street past dark unless it’s for work and always have you’re ID state work and any others you can
- Never Hang out on the street. Always in someone’s house always let your family and friends know where you are, when you’re leaving the place. save your receipts when you buy stuff they have the time on them
- Never be alone in a room with a white woman as nice as she is , if she accuses you of anything, it will be your word against hers and your word means nothing.
- Don’t waste your time believing in justice or the legal system
- Work, work a lot they wont respect you as a person but they respect the money you have
This may not be the happy pep talk you were given as a youth but this was mine give to me from someone who used to live in Georgia before and after the civil right movement. But I grew up in the 80’s in NYC we had race riots, and Nintendo, OJ got away with killing that white girl, Kobe didn’t get lynched for sleeping with that White girl, Wesley Snipe beat up on Halle Berry and now he only dates Asians, the police didn’t stick dogs on us only stuck us with plungers instead so we have some progress.
Side Note: Spoke too Soon
Texas Cops Fired After Video Captures Them Beating Black Woman
Two officers from the Jasper Police Department in Texas have been fired after video captured them brutally handling a woman brought in to pay a $100 fine. The incident took place May 5, when Keyarika “Shea” Diggles, 25, was brought to jail to pay the fine. Diggles, according to her lawyer, was on the phone speaking with her mother to arrange the payment when Officer Ricky Grissom ended the call. It appears that Grissom and Diggles began arguing after he discontinued the call. Officer Ryan Cunningham walked in behind Diggles and attemped to handcuff her. She showed no sign of resistance but Cunningham violently grabbed Diggles by the hair and slammed her head into a counter. The officers then slammed Diggles to the ground. One of the officers tried to drag her to the jail cell but ended up pulling off her shoe. Both officers eventually pull her into the cell. Diggles was charged with resisting arrest; the charge was dropped Monday.
MrMary Updates Mr Freeman Rules
As you all know MrMary’s is colour blind meaning I see all people as equally cool and absurd. I think skin colour is such a stupid way to divide people. However I am realistic, so I have updated Mr Freeman’s Rules. These are the rules I conduct myself by. I have been never arrested or experience police brutality:
- I don’t smoke marijuana
- I work anywhere from 2 – 3 jobs
- I pay tickets & summons ASAP ONLINE
- I don’t hang out on the street, always inside a place
- I have a book to read with me, and wear my glasses never contacts, I look less threatening
- Don’t wear a hoodie or anything on my head
- I avoid neighbourhoods that have to much of any one group of people
Patrice O’Neal also gives some interesting points to consider:
- Jailhouse video of Jasper police brutality (beaumontenterprise.com)
- CCTV Video captures Jasper, Texas, police officers beating woman brutally (VIDEO) (secretsofthefed.com)
- The black/white marijuana arrest gap, in nine charts (washingtonpost.com)
- More Brutality From Jasper, Texas: Cops Fired After Video Captures Them Beating Black Woman (oldschool1053.com)
- More Brutality From Jasper, Texas: Cops Fired After Video Captures Them Beating Black Woman (thebuzzcincy.com)
- Blacks Are Singled Out For Marijuana Arrests (atlantablackstar.com)
- Racial Bias in Marijuana Arrests Is Worse Than You Thought (theatlanticwire.com)