The media mogul Rupert Murdoch stunned the world of British antiquities today by purchasing the newly discovered remains of Richard III for a hundred million dollars. “This is a dream come true for me,” a jubilant Mr. Murdoch told reporters after the British government accepted his bid for the fallen tyrant. “Richard III is more than an important historical figure to me. He’s a role model.”Mr. Murdoch said that he plans to put Richard III on display at the News Corporation headquarters in New York, “where he will serve as an inspiration to all our employees when I’m not there.”
I would think that the body of Richard the III should be a national treasure but no. Selling something so important shows how much we care about history and how apt we are to repeat its mistakes when the remnants of human activity are sold to the highest bidder.
But thats beside my point. Chances are one of the avenues through which you get your news is own by Rupert Murdoch. (By 2000 Murdoch’s News Corporation owned over 800 companies in more than 50 countries with a net worth of over $5 billion.) He has a net work of 8.3 billion and is responsible for the creation of the ever-growing population of lotophagi or lotophaguses around the world.
In Greek mythology, the lotus-eaters (Greek λωτοφάγοι, lōtophagoi), also referred to as the lotophagi or lotophaguses (singular lotophagus/ləˈtɒfəɡəs/) or lotophages (singular lotophage/ˈloʊtəfeɪdʒ/), were a race of people living on an island near North Africa (possibly Djerba) dominated by lotus plants. The lotus fruits and flowers were the primary food of the island and were narcotic, causing the people to sleep in peaceful apathy.
He is a lotus dealer. His lotuses come in a variety of sizes and shapes but the end result, apathy and moral somnolence are the same everywhere. I wont talk about mass media any more at least today, but I was surprised by two things one of which I could have said better than Rupert himself:
- Mr. Murdoch said he was baffled why his purchase of Richard III had proven so controversial: “This is far from the first time I’ve bought a British leader.”
taken from here
- $23 billion acquisition of Virgin Media may pose biggest threat yet to Rupert Murdoch’s Sky | The Verge (digitaltvnewssummary.wordpress.com)
- Rupert Murdoch says Chinese hackers are still targeting Wall Street Journal (guardian.co.uk)
- #China is still hacking the Wall Street Journal, claims Rupert #Murdoch (ktrmurali.wordpress.com)
- Rupert Murdoch Says Chinese Still Hacking WSJ, Conveniently Forgets How His Tabloids Hacked Phones (techinasia.com)
- | Satire: Murdoch emerges as winning bidder for Richard III’s bones! (truthaholics.wordpress.com)