Why bother finding a pair of shoes that fit your feet when you can just surgically alter your feet to fit your shoes? A “growing number” of women are reportedly having surgery to make their high heels more comfortable, receiving special foot injections, shortening their toes — and in extreme cases — cutting off their pinky toes altogether. “Unless you’ve been there, and you can’t find shoes, and you’re in pain, don’t judge,” said Susan Deming, who recently underwent a toe-shortening procedure on her left foot, which had longer toes than her right. She says going under the knife was a worthy price to pay for better-fitting heels: “I’ve never felt this good about something I’ve done. If it’s vain, it’s vain.” [Source]
MrMary Weighs In
I know a good friend of mine (female) who loves shoes Louboutin especially. Having lived a lot of her life in Paris and being very chic herself she took great care to explain to me how beauty is pain. Her Parisian sense of beauty was interesting to me as are of course Parisian women. Now I like a sexy shoe on lady but this is beauty being self-mutilation. Maybe it’s because I am a dude but I dress primarily for comfort and function. A good suit for me is a uniform that I use to get access to a certain circle of social activity. Clothes are not an extension of me and do not make me feel beautiful. Actually when I am home I don’t really wear clothes.
Well we live in a culture that favors looks over substance so I’m not surprised. This is a little more extreme of the behavior I am used to seeing but it is consistent. Can any ladies weigh in on this issue. Is there a social pressure to do so or is this people acting extreme ?
- More Women Are Literally Chopping Off Their Pinky Toes to Fit Into High Heels (jezebel.com)
- ‘Stiletto Surgery’ alters pinky toe for better fit (foxnews.com)
- Ladies, are you tired of that pesky pinky toe not fitting into your favorite stilettos? Boy, do we have the surgery for you [Asinine] (fark.com)
- Women Are Going To Extremes For Heels (foxcharlotte.com)
- Look of the Day: Parisian Pretty (fabsugar.com)
- 10 Reasons to Trash Your Favorite Pair of High Heels (dangerouslee.biz)
- The Danger In Wearing High Heels (stlouis.cbslocal.com)
- Good News: Pain Free Heels Do Exist! (fabsugar.com)
- 5 Ways to Save Your Feet From Holiday Heels (bellasugar.com)