I have often thought that the common approach to cutting down or losing weight is very “off” to put it lightly. For starters it seems the majority of people want a quick fix solution to losing weight. They ask what diet should I do or what can I take (pills) to help me lose this excess weight. My approach to losing weight/cutting down has always been a little different in that I ask myself or what about my lifestyle contributes to my weight and current state of health. Let me give you an example:
My Daily Habits
When I am in the zone my last meal is usually around9 -10pm. I do not eat until lunch the next day around 2pm. I don’t like to eat breakfast, I feel sluggish when I have breakfast. I don’t drink coffee maybe a cup of juice and I am out the door. There is about a 16 hour window from last meal to lunch meal the next day.
However for a few months due to work, stress and being unable to sleep and other things I haven’t been in the zone. Here are some of my past daily habits that screwed stuff up for me. I have worked to change them
- Eat Late like 3 am go to sleep around 4-5am
- Sleep 4 hours or less
- Eat vegetables those green things, don’t boil them to death either !!
- No access to a kitchen to cook my own food
- Not having set times to eat, end up eating whenever wherever
- Very Little Cardio if at all, very sedentary at work and home
- Drink very little water
Changes So far
I started going to sleep earlier and making sure not to eat after 10pm. I put more time an effort into planning what I am going to eat and preparing as much of it as I can before hand. I only drink beer twice a week (my my off days where I don’t work out and cut my carbs) now instead of a little bit (chuckles) everyday. I stopped snacking and eat two to three meals a day. at set times So far so good I lost some weight doing that alone. That’s not even special dieting and such. I plan because of my schedule of eating and activity to do intermittent fasting and I will post more on that in the days to come. Let me list some really simple things I used to do to cut down in the past:
- I don’t really watch tv. I notice that when family members of mine watch TV they always eat or drink something. I try not to put myself in context where eating is implied, unless I am on a date and am invited for a ‘night cap‘.
- Eat the fruit not the juice. Fruit juice has tons of sugar in it. I find its better to eat the fruit than the juice.
- Bring lunch to work and eat two meals outside of home per week.
- Eat Whole Grain stuff
- Eat only when I feel hungry
- Reduce my Carb intake a little bit, when i do eat carbs its complex carbs with low glycemic index
- Do cardio after waking up before I eat my first meal
usually once I do these 7 things I lose a bit of weight. Then depending on what my goals are I diet.
Tell me what you think ? Share some thing you do