I got a wonderful question from the lovely sistasertraline and I thought I would answer here and now like that Luther Vandross song. The Question is
Why would you not consider yourself a feminist if you
believe in equality Mr M?
Denotation VS Connotation
Egalitarian – Affirming, promoting, or characterized by belief in equal political, economic, social, and civil rights for all people.
Feminist – a person who advocates equal rights for women
From the dictionary definition alone I find that a feminist is concerned with females only. Historically that definition of female was very narrow, so narrow that it is still expanding to include more and more types of females.
Aside from that
But aside from that I should say that there are many types of feminists:
- Marxist Feminists
- Liberal Feminists
- Socialist Feminists
- Radical Feminists
I am not very well educated on this subject but these are the ones I hear about the most. But the term Feminism is a large umbrella turn that house many sub genres and each of them have their own particular focus. Maybe I can share with you some thoughts and observations I have had. Please keep in mind that I am not well versed in this and if anyone has anythign to share please do so, in a respectful manner.
- I don’t see in American society at least a class of males or a class of women – which means males or females grouped together by a common interest or cause. That would be a great over simplification to think of all the women in the US belonging to a single class
- I think inequality is at the basis of all societies democratic, socialist, communist, totalitarian. There are and will be always the have and the have-nots. The inequality that exists in society is created and maintained in time by a complex of factors of which gender is one.
- Patriarchy isn’t the same everywhere. There isnt a universal form of patriarchy. it comes in many flavors, and being that (at least in America, we are a nation of immigrants I would imagine that patriarchy here comes in many types of flavors. Patriarchy isn’t as firmly entrenched now as it was maybe a millennia ago or even I would say after the fall of the holy roman empire in Europe when Napoleon organised the confederation of the Rhine. The Judeo-christian roots of the west have a lot to do with how patriarchy is understood and I don’t feel many links are maid to the ramification of this ideology and it subsequent proliferation in Western and Eastern Europe. (with the exception of course of Moorish Spain for about 700 years)
- I don’t see capitalism being overthrown any time soon and the rise of the proletariat, which may make it difficult for me to understand the Marxist feminist and how they plan to meet their aims. I also wonder if economic dependence nowadays with more women having benefited from college education and more exposure to higher paying position is still the main reason for the subjugation of women
These are just my thoughts. I don’t like to affiliate myself to any social or political movement because there is always the question of can social movement evolve through time and always have the necessary leadership and general education among their members so that in advancing their causes they are not exploiting other groups. I think the issue is that movements break apart over time and the existence of many subgenre dilutes the possible impact they could have.
Uhm in other words I support all rights but wouldnt call myself a feminist because feminist, so far from what I have seen while they do care about other groups of people, are primarily focused on advancing the cause of women in a nutshell. Even the term egalitarian cna be deconstructed like feminism and I am sure has many holes in it as well. But I will always be more for an integrated platform of a larger quest for social, economic and political justice of all people. I guess I like to aim high for the stars ?
- Emergent Feminist Technical Communication (tc.eserver.org)
- Radical Feminists Understand Christianity Better than Most Christians (likeinbooks.wordpress.com)
- What is a radical feminist? (asukamiyuke.wordpress.com)
- Feminist ‘Protest’ Intellectually Bankrupt (reyekomra.wordpress.com)
- what happens when beyonce’s not a feminist. (cndaussin.wordpress.com)
- Egalitarianism: Myths and Truths (Myths 2 and 3) (allisonquient.wordpress.com)
- Misandry: Self-Fulfilling Prophesy? (femdelusion.wordpress.com)
- Celebrities Who Say They ARE Feminists (thegloss.com)
- Are Western Feminist/Egalitarian Women Human Toilets? (hyperborearising.wordpress.com)
- Hating on Feminism? I get that. (queerguesscode.wordpress.com)