DISCLAIMER: The views expressed here are my personal views, if you are a southerner or someone who doesnt like what I say you are invited to leave my page or aggressively lick my scrotum.
The last time North Carolina changed there constitution was in 1875. The constitution was amended to ban interracial marriage. That ban only ended in 1971 about ten years before I was born. So to understand why North Carolina yesterday voted to amend its constitution I looked at the past history of north Carolina and drew from my visit there a few years ago, to bring you the secret reason no one wants you to know.
The amendment, which says marriage between a man and a woman is the only legally recognized domestic union in the state, passed by a wide margin. With 95 of 100 counties’ results reported, about 61 percent of votes backed the amendment.
North Carolina law already blocks gay and lesbian couples from marrying, but the state now joins the rest of the Southeast states in adding the prohibition to its constitution.
I was born and raised in NYC and am also black so I am biased towards the southern states, esp the former states of the Confederacy. They are in my mind the old folks in the neighborhood who’s heyday, wealth, social status have long gone but they still desperately cling on the snobbery of the past. Everyone talks about how southern women are classy and the deep sense of chivalry embedded in the social conscious. There is the southern gentleman who talk unintelligibly and aside from sweat tea cannot bring anything to a conversation unless its about grass, heat, old family members that long gone, and home improvements. The church plays a significant role supposedly in society and in buggery, much in the same way as it did pre and post slavery.
That’s not the entire story
North Carolina voters not only approved a constitutional amendment Tuesday night banning gay marriage, but the measure also goes one step further by not allowing civil unions. From what I have seen the main justification is echoed quite succintly in the words of Billy Graham the decrepit minister: “At 93, I never thought we would have to debate the definition of marriage. The Bible is clear – God’s definition of marriage is between a man and a woman.” At 93 Billy Graham is as relevant to the national dialogue one just about anything as Preparation H.
In a country that calls for a clear separation between church and state, Do we not have the mental capacity to think of novel ideas not based on the Bible? Should we be focused on passing law not based on religion but on the needs of the moment, the current trends of the time ?
To overturn the amendment approved Tuesday night, the legislature would have to overrule the amendment by a three-fifths vote and get voter approval. The amendment was introduced after Republicans won a majority in both houses of the state legislature in 2010 and from what some random political scientist says “It’s been a pretty easy win in every southern state“ What surprises me is that the black folk sided with the republicans on this vote. Of course I don’t mean every single black person did and every single person in N Carolina wants this, 61% of the people voted for the amendment.
But 61% is very significant nonetheless its a statement.
Preview of Part 2
Now that all the information out on the table about Amendment One and how I feel about it. I will endeavor in part to to tell you the secret reason why N. Carolina and most southern States love this bill so much. Stay tuned
- Seriously North Carolina? (doubledippolitics.com)
- NC Voters Approve Constitutional Amendment Defining Marriage As A Union Between A Man And A Woman (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- North Carolina approves gay marriage ban (telegraph.co.uk)
- “The Bigots Win”: North Carolina Passes Constitutional Amendment Bannig Marriage Equality (mykeystrokes.com)
- NORTH CAROLINA AMENDMENT 1: NC Marriage Amendment Passes (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- North Carolina Bans Gay Marriage (newamericamedia.org)
- North Carolina voters approve gay marriage amendment (abclocal.go.com)
- North Carolina bans gay marriage (640whlo.com)
- North Carolina bans gay marriage (radio.woai.com)
- North Carolina passes same-sex marriage ban (newstalkcleveland.com)
- Official: North Carolina Bands Same Sex Marriage (thewesternexperience.com)
- North Carolina last southern state to ban same-sex marriage (examiner.com)
- North Carolina bans same-sex marriage (examiner.com)
- North Carolina Sadly Votes to Constitutionally Ban Gay Marriage [Rites And Rights] (jezebel.com)
- Celebrities React to North Carolina’s Gay Marriage Ban (gossipcop.com)
- North Carolina Overwhelmingly Bans Same-Sex Marriage (jonathanturley.org)
- North Carolina Bans Gay Marriage (jewishpress.com)
- North Carolina bans same-sex marriage (bazaardaily.com)
- Amendment One Passes in North Carolina (towleroad.com)
- Fuck North Carolina. (daviddemar.wordpress.com)
- North Carolina voters pass Amendment One to ban same sex marriage (rawstory.com)